Wednesday, May 28, 2008

GINORMOUS CUBIC ZIRCONIAS / ARMEN-RA JEWELS



I found a 300+ faceted zircon in the middle of Southern India years ago for a very good price! The labor put into having so many facets must have been truly inhuman. It was the 1990's and Armen-Ra was producing coffee table sized cubic zirconias for Todd Oldham in rectangular and pear shapes set in sterling. I believe Susan Sarandon had one and I remember hearing rumors of models stealing them backstage at the show.
Armen-Ra was flexible and kind enough to have my stone from India mounted in sterling at that time. He currently corresponded to me that "(he has) commissioned another very large pear shape 97kt. stone to be made into a 'modern' ring... This is the absolute last remaining stone..."
Years after my ring was made, some friends of my mothers from New Orleans gave me a large matching pendant on a sterling necklace. It's gorgeous but not as intricate as the stone in the ring. They have a wonderful jewelry store in New Orleans: http://neworleansgem.qpg.com (ask for Allen & say you're my friend).
I was sorting out old costume jewelry of mine the other day and came across the ring and pendant. I broke out the silver polish, brought them back to life and wore them out last night and felt positively delightful. They are hard to photograph because of the way they catch the light. Crystal shooting star by Baccarat.

No comments: