Saturday, June 14, 2008

CAPTURED PREMIERE FRIDAY THE 13TH JUNE 2008

I saw so many familiar faces (and many departed) in Clayton Patterson's unbelievable documentary compilation "Captured" premiering Friday the 13th by Rooftopfilms.com atop the Seward Park High School on the Lower East Side. I didn't see so many familiar faces in the audience as almost everyone there was playing with a cabbage patch kid during the time this film was made in the East Village in the 80's to 90's. I can't begin to tell you how much they tried to squeeze into the movie of his even more gigantic archive.

The roof was on the 7th floor but each floor was double in height of that of any walkup due to the huge ceilings so it was a very intense 13-14 stories. We felt the burn. Lila was a real trooper. Free water bottles and please recycle after the show campaign in effect.

Clayton Patterson ,Billy, Joe Coleman


The space was a gigantic well maintained rooftop holding over 800 with two wings with separate movie screens. You could see the moon above, the financial district and Chrysler Building.

A few faces on the screen I pasted together. Far right, the late performer John Sex. Please click on any image for panoramic view.

This shot is a meld between portrait images, but I swear I that neither of them was this blond lady. I Think it's a Lower East Side ghost (there was that contingency).

I lived so much in this world that he captured. Things have changed so much since then that it seems that this was so so long ago but it is part of our recent history, Clayton reminded us. I don't know what we are living in right now but after seeing this movie i was reminded of an entire voice I felt that I have inside that has been somehow been completely squelched, distorted into something far removed from any relevance in this world. I don't even know why I still live in the East Village.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am really glad you have not left the LES- I would prefer you call it Lower East Side as soon that name will not even exist-- will be EV and LoHo or who knows what? There are few of us left- although I do understand what you are saying- come to Ludlow on a Friday evening- is crazy- filled with people I have never seen before-- this used to be Hell Raisers block. thanks Clayton