Friday, June 6, 2008

LAURIE CABOT WEBSITE

I have been a huge fan of Laurie Cabot, "The Official Witch of Salem Massachusetts", since I was maybe thirteen. I wrote her a letter in the mid-late 1980's (from a boarding school in New England) telling her of my interest in Wicca (and other forms of basket weaving). My letter was responed to by a Ms. 'Becky Nurse' (one of the names of the women in the Salem Witch trial) and then Gypsy and Pendragon (if my memory serves me correct). After getting parental permission to correspond with them, they were extremely helpful with all my curiosities, and later, deeper interest in the field.
New England is very Witchy in it's own way and the very thorough solitary study I pursued on Witchcraft at my puritanical Judeo-Christian school was the one thing that kept me intact. I sent away for every possible book on the subject, which I kept in my dorm room in a very large trunk with every imaginable herb necessary. I created a Book of Shadows over a series of years, each entry was done with india ink and a quill pen in very small detailed and elaborate styles of handwriting with illustrations. I still have the book and I must say the amount of perfectionistic artistry that went into it draws me in every time I look at it.
I've enjoyed looking into different religious paths, but I'm always touched and feel quite at home with the simple yet profound practices of folk magic.
Upon finding her site, I was comforted and delighted to see her still glowing and emanating that undeniable energy force that is Laurie Cabot.
What I did not expect to see was pictures of her going back to her childhood. The pictures of her in the 1950-1960's (I assume as they aren't dated) blew me away. The second one down is called 'Latin Quarter Dancin'. If Fellini or Avedon only knew!
R







Laurie's Daughters Jody and Penny

No comments: