Tuesday, July 15, 2008

VERA SCARVES - UPPER EAST SIDE THRIFT STORES

This shirt is not a Vera textile (it's 'Verdina' lol... nice try!), but it reminded me of her scarves. I bought the shirt for a friend while on a roll through some of the best thrift shops EVER today - all on the UES below 86th st.
These used to be our secret places to shop in the club days as they has RACKS of gowns from the 60's & 70's in the 1980's-1990's because nobody wanted them (esp. Girl's Club)! There were many more that have been lost. They all still have amazing things (and I've really given up on thrift stores in nyc) at shockingly low prices. Lets's face it, those UES gals die and they gotta ship those garments out quick while their greedy children put the real estate on the market! I made out with a new polo collection myself at $10- an item. I met my Momma at two different coffee shops today and at the second one, on 42nd st & 9th, she confessed that she bought a real ruby cross for the price of costume paste at Arthritis Foundation. I must say I was particularly amazed at Arthritis Foundation thrift store today more than any others:
*Housing Works (at location of what used to be the Girls Club Thrift shop): 202 E 77th Street bet 2nd & 3rd Ave.
*Arthritis Foundation Thrift Shop Inc: 1383 3rd Ave.
*Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center Thrift Shop: 1440 3rd Ave.
*Spence-Chapin Thrift Shop: 1473 3rd Ave.
Unfortunately the store "Out Of The Closet" - a fabulous deep cave of a thrift store run by a pair of old queens on 81st bet 2nd & 3rd - is now a bakery called "Alice's Teacup". Gee I wonder if it still has gay owners...

There is no site that really covers Vera Scarves to any extent that may give them justice. All I can say is that there is a lot of them and they must be bought if you run into one



Somewhere there is a bedspread made of Vera Scarves

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, this is just fabulous. Seems like you're a Vera fan. I just want you to know that The Vera Company has their own blog. We want interact with consumer and fans and get feedback. We are working to bring Vera back the the public with scarves, apparel, and home furnishings. We will be posting announcements about the company. It's http://theveracompany.blogspot.com