Sunday, April 12, 2009

EASTER PARTY IN A WEDDING CAKE


There are a ton of white and red brick 60's high rises in Manhattan with a huge amount from midtown through the upper east. I don't know if the white ones are really called 'wedding cakes' but some dizzy queen once once told me they were as we looked at a few from someone else's high rise party window. He said they were called that because of the step like layering of tiny terraces towards the top. I think he made it up. I knew I would see a lot today so to distract myself I decided to go wedding cake photographing. It was perfect because the party was in one and had views of them. I grew up in a red brick (not crazy about them - low ceilings) and we had a white brick next to us. There was a crazy lady across from us with 5 different unused little terraces and she would come out and water her roses with a hose in big shiny expensive high heels, sunglasses, a trench coat and crazy wild white hair everywhere. I have otherwise never ever seen anyone use the outdoor spaces on these buildings. 1960's Manhattan red and white brick buildings have had horrible water damage problems. I think it's the terrace drainage and water towers on top, but I have also seen ground floor facades to many 60's buildings being ripped off and renovated because of decay. They just weren't made well.




You can see the scale by the size of the resin chair in the back patio areas. These back yard plots seem pretty barren and untended to but maybe they will have a bit more flourish in the summer.



I took a lot of photos of random people while pretending not to be getting a picture of the lady with serious face furniture: red prescription glasses heavier than her head. She randomly told me off the year before last when I was at the same party. She appeared to approach me near the serving table and I tried to make small talk. She cut me short and moved me out of the way saying "I'm just trying to get a napkin honey." I knew she wouldn't pose if I asked this year. Got her anyway.






No comments: