Tuesday, December 23, 2008

DON'T KILL THE ANIMALS


I know I continue to mention clicking on the image, but it looks so small and dinky on the screen in the blog and has so much detail enlarged so for the billionth time feel free to examine this new demented clip art I've made.

I'll spare you pictures of slaughterhouses and I'm not on any sort of mission to convert or judge anyone. Well, except for the beef and poultry industry. Look into it thoroughtly... oh wait I'm sure you won't or can't. We just don't dwell on that and that's ok, this is something I'm very excited about doing. My conversion is really part of an ever growing daily Buddhist practice in my life, dietary aspirations as well as deep moral and political feelings. And the PETA people got me... big time. Also, living in Manhattan, I have every resource for gourmet meat free food. The markets are bursting with them and there are popular restaurants everywhere. For lunch in a restaurant around the corner from me yesterday, I had a piece of vegan meatloaf bigger than my hand with portobello mushrooms wrapped around it, mash potatoes with non dairy gravy, corn and sweet potatoes. For dinner I made myself these frozen meatless meatballs in whole wheat linguini with a homemade tomato sauce and a side of broccoli, carrots and cauliflower (in a non dairy butter substitute). Also, it's not like I'm suffering trying to make non meat items taste like meat ; these items taste better to me and for some reason all the meat flavor attempts at vegetarian food taste totally different and unique. If you think about it milk is gross but I'm going to eat items made with it out and about in my life. Stealing an egg from under a chicken being raised organically isn't the worst thing in the world either, however I was just informed that the free range chickens live in terror and unhealthy conditions as well. This is going to be a process but a process I look forward to.

1 comment:

Bailey said...

Best of luck in your endeavor. Finding cruelty free eggs isn't impossible; though, living in the big city as you do I'm sure it is much more difficult than in humble desert abode.