Saturday, December 13, 2008

UMBRELLA HOUSE


A bit of ave. C history. Umbrella is one of the earliest squats and is just across the street from me. It was called Umbrella House because it had not roof and they used umbrellas. There are wooden police barricades built into the masonry. I have the utmost respect for Umbrella House and some friendships with it's tenants. I think they bought the building from the city for a dollar at something I don't know there's an article in the Times. The entire hallways are being hand steel brush painted and there are oil paintings of religious scenes 2x the height of my ceiling! And that's just the hallways, not inside the apartments. They've done a beautiful job.



At the top of the building they kept an original Anarchist political stencil made by... well someone who is a trip but probably wants to remain unknown. I can tell you that it is a stencil of Kembra Phaler of the Voluptuous Horror of Karen Black and the scoring across the images are gashes made by firemen and police during an inspection/raid back in the day. Law enforcement doesn't tend to like images of 'Molotov Cocktails'!


No comments: